Boots are a staple for me for cold weather as they are comfy, warm and stylish. Fit is absolutely essential though so here are a few tips to keep in mind:
1. Try on the boots and walk around the shop while you are checking out the other merchandise. You may find that the pinching or aching doesn’t start until 5 or 10 minutes in.
2. Most people have one foot larger than the other, so always make sure the boots are large enough for the bigger foot.
3. If you will be walking a lot in the boots, go for a more rounded toe as this will give more space and comfort compared to a pointed toe. I often find I have to go up a size with a pointed toe so that my toes aren’t pinched to death.
4. Make sure you ask to try boots with socks if you plan to wear boots with a thicker sock at some point. Room for your toes to stretch and flex is essential for comfort.
5. Look for boots with adjustment features such as elasticated sides, buckles or two calf width fittings as you can adjust for a personalised fit.