This is a tricky one, as you often want to let the hair down after a long year of work but you have to keep in the back of your mind (or in the front in some people’s cases) that this event is actually an extension of work. With a few key thoughts in mind, you will glide through the event with your work reputation in tact and be able to face your work colleagues on Monday and spare yourself the blushes. After all, who wants to be the subject of the office gossip for the next several months?
- Choose an outfit that showcases your personality without being too revealing. This is not the event for low necklines, backless dresses or your new leather mini.
- Often times, the office party can be directly after work so you can dress up your work dress with jewellery and high heels. Keep accessories simple and make sure they work with your outfit.
- A fitted, sleek tailored pants with a top is always a great option and might be just the perfect outfit. Avoid going too casual though. Jeans are probably not ideal, unless they are a dark wash and fitted.
- I highly recommend that you wear something comfortable and something that you have worn before as mal functions at this type of event can be very embarrassing.
- If you are still concerned about what to wear, then you can always ask the organizer what the dress code is. You can also check with your colleagues what they plan to wear so you feel comfortable and fit in.
- Some etiquette tips to keep in mind
- There may be an open bar for the event , so plan carefully so you don’t end up too tipsy. Eat a snack before you arrive to the event so you are not drinking on an empty stomach and restrict yourself to one or two drinks . Alternate alcoholic drinks with sparkling water or a mineral.
- Do make an effort to mingle with colleagues from other departments rather than sticking with your usual crowd.
- Avoid being the first to leave and do make an effort to meet people and enjoy yourself.
I know, I know, everyone dreads it a bit because it takes us out of our comfort zone and people get to see us in a different light. Take some time to plan and think it through and another office christmas party will glide by without a blush in sight!